Top Running Double Girder Bridge Crane
Heaviest duty classes
- Available in almost unlimited capacities
- Commonly built with either 4 or in some cases 8 wheels (double bogie type).
- Can be designed to have two hoists on a single trolley or two separate hoists
- Generally move at higher speeds than underhung cranes with speeds approaching 200 fpm.
- Free traveling pendants and radio controls are available for safe and remote control of all CraneWerks bridge cranes.
- All CraneWerks powered cranes are shipped fully assembled and tested*
- CraneWerks cranes are pre-engineered which makes building and shipping them fast
- Standard I beam and box girder styles are available.
- CraneWerks bridge cranes are equipped with standard features that are optional on competitors’ cranessuch as
- electronic soft start
- side guide rollers on bridge end trucks
- Variable and 2 speed controls
- notched free traveling pendant station
- rubber crane bumpers
- collector mounting posts
*Cranes that have an end truck length of over 8 ft. will be disassembled for shipping
- Coil handling
- Paper roll handling
- Relocating Dies
- Steel Slitting
- Forging plants
Double girder overhead bridge crane can be constructed with either structural steel beams (W flange beams) or welded steel plates, commonly known as box girders. Most bridge cranes up to 60 - 65’ span are constructed of structural steel.
The type of bridge girder is determined by considering both the span and capacity of the application. Box girder cranes have a very light weight to span ratio and in many cases can reduce the size of the runway and building structure required to support them as well as reduce the cost of the crane itself. The CraneWerks engineering team can determine which design is right for your application.
A four wheeled overhead bridge crane is good for most applications but in some cases an 8 wheeled or double bogie crane is more practical. Double bogie cranes spread the loads out over 4 wheels at each end of the bridge allowing the runway rail size to be reduced and in some cases, the runway girders themselves to be lighter weight.
Another advantage to double bogie bridge cranes is that they can be shipped with the endtrucks (The part of the crane that contains the wheels.) already assembled to the girders. This makes installation easy and reduces the amount of time it takes to erect the crane. The industrial crane specialists at CraneWerks are experienced in crane applications and can aid you in your selection of the proper crane for your application.
Box Style Bridge Girder
An advantage to a top running double girder bridge crane is that you can build a new building with reduced overall height and still have the same hook height as a single girder crane, which would require a taller building.
Many things need to be considered when properly sizing a double girder crane; including the headroom or overall height that is available to fit the crane into (height from the crane rail to the lowest obstruction). The height available is important because the hoist and trolley ride on top of the bridge girders rather than being suspended beneath the bridge girder. This gives the best hook height of any overhead bridge crane option, giving you the maximum amount of lift (distance that the hook can be raised above the floor below) available.
When using a magnet as a below hook lifting device, a double girder industrial crane is almost always used. Please specify in your request for quote if a magnet will be used on your crane. Due to the large number of repetitive lifts that magnet cranes endure, they should most often be sized as a class D as a minimum and many times classed higher.
Our standard double girder bridge crane is CMAA Class C but these cranes are available in class A-E. For more information see CMAA crane classifications.
For more information on our complete line of overhead bridge cranes and hoists please call 888-544-2121, email email@example.com or fill out one of our award winning request for quote forms. CraneWerks professionals are always standing by ready to serve you.